Roman Lysecky is an Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Arizona. He received his B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of California, Riverside in 1999, 2000, and 2005, respectively. His research interests focus on embedded systems, with emphasis on runtime optimization, non-intrusive system observation methods for in-situ analysis of complex hardware and software behavior, data-adaptable system, and embedded system security. He was awarded the Outstanding Ph.D. Dissertation Award from the European Design and Automation Association (EDAA) in 2006 for New Directions in Embedded Systems. He received a CAREER award from the National Science Foundation in 2009 and four Best Paper Awards from the ACM/IEEE International Conference on Hardware-Software Codesign and System Synthesis (CODES+ISSS), the ACM/IEEE Design Automation and Test in Europe Conference (DATE), the IEEE International Conference on Engineering of Computer-Based Systems (ECBS), and the International Conference on Mobile Ubiquitous Computing, Systems, Services (UBICOMM). He is an inventor on one US patent. He has coauthored five textbooks on VHDL, Verilog, C, C++, and Java programming. His recent textbooks, published with Zyante, utilize a web-native, interactive, and animated approach that has shown notable increases in student learning and course grades. He has also received multiple awards for Excellence at the Student Interface from the College of Engineering at the University of Arizona.
- S. Lu, M. Seo, and R. Lysecky. Timing-based Anomaly Detection in Embedded Systems. Asia South Pacific Design Automation Conference (ASP-DAC), pp. 809-814, 2015.
- J. Sametinger, J. Rozenblit, R. Lysecky, P. Ott. Security Challenges for Medical Devices. Communication of ACM (CACM), Vol. 58 No. 4, Pages 74-82, 2015.
- J. C. Lee, J. Vance, and R. Lysecky. Hardware-based Event Stream Ordering for System-level Observation Framework. IEEE Embedded Systems Letters (ESL), Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 81-84, 2014.
- J. Sun, R. Lysecky, K. Shankar, A. Kodi, A. Louri, J. Roveda. Workload Assignment Considering NBTI Degradation in Multi-core Systems, ACM Journal on Emerging Technologies in Computing Systems (JETC), Vol. 10, No. 1, Article 4, pp. 1-22, 2014.
- S. Whitsitt, J. Sprinkle, R. Lysecky. Generating Model Transformations for Mending Dynamic Constraint Violations in Cyber Physical Systems. Workshop on Domain-Specific Modeling (DSM), 2014.
- J. C. Lee, R. Lysecky. Area-Efficient Event Stream Ordering for Runtime Observability of Embedded Systems. IEEE/ACM Design Automation Conference (DAC), Article 130, pp. 1-6, 2014.
- R. Lysecky, A. Lizarraga. Programming in Java, Programming in Java: Early Objects, AP Java. zyBooks, 2013.
- Paper on Student Performance Improvement using Interactive Textbooks: A Three-University Cross-Semester Analysis has been accepted and will be presented at the ASEE Annual Conference, 2015.
- Paper on Security Challenges for Medical Devices was just published in the April 2015 issue of the Communications of the ACM (CACM). Link to Paper.
- Here's a great video showing the benefits of the "Less text, more action" approach for zyBooks.
- Paper accepted: J. C. Lee, R. Lysecky, System-Level Observation Framework for Non-Intrusive Runtime Monitoring of Embedded Systems ACM Transactions on Design Automation of Electronic Systems (TODAES).
- Paper on Generating Model Transformations for Mending Dynamic Constraint Violations in Cyber Physical Systems will be presented at the 14th Workshop on Domain-Specific Modeling (DSM) authored by S. Whitsitt, J. Sprinkle, and R. Lysecky.
- Paper on Timing-based Anomaly Detection in Embedded Systems has been pusblished at the Asia South Pacific Design Automation Conference (ASP-DAC) authored by S. Lu, M. Seo, and R. Lysecky.
- Paper on Hardware-based Event Stream Ordering for System-level Observation Framework has been published in IEEE Embedded Systems Letters (ESL) authored by J. C. Lee, J. Vance, and R. Lysecky. Link to Paper.
- Paper on Area-Efficient Event Stream Ordering for Runtime Observability of Embedded Systems has been published at the Design Automation Conference (DAC) authored by J.C. Lee and R. Lysecky Link to Paper.
- Paper on Workload Assignment Considering NBTI Degradation in Multi-core Systems has been published in the Jan. 2014 issue of ACM Journal on Emerging Technologies in Computing Systems (JETC) Link to Paper.
- Paper on Dynamic profiling and fuzzy-logic-based optimization of sensor network platforms has been published in the Dec. 2013 issue of ACM Transaction on Embedded Computing Systems (TECS). Link to Paper.
- Two papers have been accepted for publication at International Conference on Field-Programmable Technology (FPT) 2013: Discrete Event System Specification, Synthesis, and Optimization of Low-Power FPGA-based Embedded Systems authored by T. Pifer, D. Schwartz, R. Lysecky, C. Seo, B. Zeigler and ''Runtime Hardware/Software Task Transition Scheduling for Runtime-Adaptable Embedded Systems" authored by N. Sandoval, C. Mackin, S. Whitsitt, R. Lysecky, J. Sprinkle.
- Presented a paper on Efficient Reconfiguration Methods to Enable Rapid Deployment of Runtime Reconfigurable Systems at the Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers 2013. Presentation PDF
- New animated, interactive textbooks on Programming in C, Programming in C++, and Programming in Java are available from Zyante. These books are develop dot be web-native and highly interactive with extensive animations, interactive tools, and embedded questions sets and exercises for student self-assessment.
- Paper accepted for publication: A. Lizarraga, R. Lysecky, S. Lysecky, A. Gordon-Ross. Dynamic Profiling and Fuzzy Logic Based Optimization of Sensor Networks Platforms. ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems (TECS).
- Paper accepted for publication: J. Mu, K. Shankar, R. Lysecky. Profiling and Online System-Level Performance and Power Estimation for Dynamically Adaptable Embedded Systems. ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems (TECS).
- Paper accepted for publication: J.C. Lee, F. Kouteib, R. Lysecky. Event-Driven Framework for Configurable Runtime System Observability for SOC Designs. International Test Conference (ITC), 2012.
- Paper accepted for publication: J. Mu, R. Lysecky. Adaptive Online Heuristic Performance Estimation and Power Optimization for Reconfigurable Embedded Systems. International Conference on Hardware-Software Codesign and System Synthesis (CODES+ISSS), 2012.
- Video demonstration of DARES Modeling Approach: DARES Overview